Thread: Support...?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

Piggypumps, I can relate to the loneliness. Not many of my friends/family knew what was going on with my husband. And those that did, well, sometimes they shrank away from me.

At the Al Anon meeting I attend, they pass around a sheet with phone numbers of members who are willing to take calls 24/7 and be an ear. I've also made a couple of friends who attend Al Anon, and we are in similar situations. It has been helpful to know I can call them and just vent, and they do the same with me. Are you able to attend Al Anon and take advantage of some of this support?

Finally, I actually *asked* one of my few friends, an older and very wise woman who is herself a recovering alcoholic of 25 years, to call me daily and just leave me a message. She did this for the first few months of my separation, and even though we did not talk daily or even weekly, just having that message on my voicemail every day saying "I am just thinking of you. No need to call me back!" made a HUGE difference. I will never forget her kindness.

I'm still very lonely at times, but knowing there are people out there who will "bear witness" if I need it helps me push on.