View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by Sonky View Post
I was just wondering...what defines a drunk, and am I one? I have gone from trying my best to "what the hell". I have gone from 70-30 in favour of sober to 90-10 against. If I am drinking at least 6 days a week (I know), but still functioning at work...if I don't drink before 4pm...if I don't drink and drive?! BUT if I am putting away 2-3 cartons of beer (24 beers to a carton here) a week?? Am I kidding myself??
I don't think there is a definition...and to be honest definitions are largely unhelpful. I used to argue with the tick list by either saying 'oh, everyone does that' or 'I don't do that therefore I'm not an alcoholic'. I went back and forth for a long time...I never drank before 6pm, drank mainly beer (in the end) and functioned (I thought) pretty well at work. If you really stop and take a look at your drinking life you may see lots of holes in the 'yay for drinking' vote. In the end, if you carry on drinking it will cause you more problems than it's apparent benefits (Of which there are actually none).

Welcome to SR Sonky x