Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
THEOjibway

My strategy is like many others. I reflect on what alcohol reduced me to back 8 months ago. I was living on my own for the first time in my life and it got me good, thinking I had what it took to not drink. Problem was once I was "free" from my parents I chose to drink once again and then it got worse and worse and I was only living on my own for 5 months! I didn't even last half a year on my own.

So I reflect on that. I do all the remember when's every day I am awake. No I don't drown out the world but I do take some time every day to reflect and to remind myself what I did. To compare to my drunk self and sober self is a way I also look at it.

Drunk Self... Selfish, unreliable, scary and unpredictable room mate, doesn't care about his health (Diabetes) doesn't show up to work because too drunk, gets into fights, binges max of 4 days everytime, doesn't have time to worry about dating the only dates were with alcohol and myself.

Sober Self... Caring for how others feel, spiritual, nice room mate. cares about his health (diabetes) shows up for work and proves he likes his job, doesnt need to worry about how much he has to be able to drink, has an awesome girlfriend who'll never see him in a drunken stupid manner.

The power to focus on one day at a time has helped me for the past 8 months. It never ceases to amaze me how much it has really worked! I use to roll my eyes when I heard some man say "Oh i focus on one day at a time, for 1 24 hour I do not pick up a drink, what happens tomorrow? Who knows. I only focus on today." Now I take what that man had to say seriously and applied it to my daily life.

Today I am going to a pool hall for the first time in many years. I was the "regular" at this pool hall that use to be a 20 minute walk from my house but it shut down. This one my brother and I are going to today is in Ajax, Ontario... I'm located in Whitby Ontario Canada.

My parents are slowly beginning to trust me but my mother asked me if I'd be comfortable going to the pool hall. I told her of course I wasn't going to have the urge to drink and you know what she said. She said to me " no no thats not what I meant. I just meant are you comfortable enough to go to a place where there is alcohol?" I smiled and told her I would be fine.

Focusing on my higher power and praying and meditating helps me know there is a protective shield no matter where I go, my higher power is here now to help after all the times of turning my back on him. He knows and I know that I am serious about staying sober this time around and that's what keeps me wanting more and to keep going 1 day at a time I do not pick up that first drink, for 1 24 hour I stay sober and I remain faithful and spiritual.