View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
johnrambo

My experience - 15 year opiate/alcohol addiction, GAD/social anxiety, tried every med in the book while abusing drugs and alcohol and they all failed miserably. Trying them sober yields better results (for me)

You are where I was at 4 months sober.

When I got clean I felt like crap for 10 months or so, I waited a long time for the paws to clear up. The GAD went away on it's own, I still have a few spikes but they go away after a few days.

I finally decided to try meds again with much better results now that my brain's biochemically unaltered by other substances. The Social Anxiety is significantly better.

I've heard of doctors, that specialize in treatment of drug addiction, prescribe anti-depressants for people early in recovery then take them off closer to 1 year sober. My doctor's plan is only to have me on them for a year, he said (for lack of better description) the meds "jump-start" your serotonin, or "retrain" your brain.

What I do is look for doctors that specialize in addiction or doctors that are extremely conservative with meds. My doc now knows I can't be on benzos or anything else addictive. He is also pretty good with new treatment options and alternative.

Up to you if you wanna see a doc, I wish I would have sooner but I do remember wanting to wait to see if the anxiety would go away on it's own so I understand. But I will say I don't think they'll interfere with recovery, but verify that with the doc.