View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by overwhelming View Post
I've got a very professional job that would be ended with my licensed pulled if word ever got out. So it's so hard for me to seek help.
You can get off the prescription meds without the horrible withdrawal by talking to your prescribing doctor about tapering off slowly. They do this routinely with drugs that create tolerance and dependence, so it would not be anything new. As for privacy, it is quite possible to recover from addiction without any entanglements with the social service system. Rational Recovery, for example, is completely private, and does not require any self-disclosure at all.

I second what Mark said, though. At the moment, you are a liability not only to yourself, but also to an unsuspecting public. You cannot afford to keep this up. If you get caught, you will probably be found negligent, and they will throw the book at you. If you actually manage to do some real damage, it can get much worse. I saw healthcare workers who got caught stealing drugs from their hospital when I was in AA, and it was not a pretty sight. You do not want to end up like that.