Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
JustARide
Quitter

Some interesting posts here. I would think that not having a prevention strategy other than not drinking is something that might come for a person after a significant amount of sobriety. But for those new to sobriety or with only short periods of sobriety in the past, there are indeed other issues to be dealt with. There are most certainly situations that are triggers and harder to deal with...there are most certainly real life events, feelings, emotions, a whole host of stuff...that previously was dealt with, with alcohol, that learning to deal without alcohol, and finding strategies until one can get clean long enough to have coping mechanisms and new habits...is something that seems common sense to me.

For me I have spent a lot of time physically being effected by alcohol and mentally being effected, thinking about it, planning stuff around it. So I definitely need to fill that time and thought up with new better habits and ways of being.

I am happy for those who have made it far enough to no longer need prevention strategies. Congrats.