View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MentalLoop

My drink cravings were squarely tied to emotions. Somehow, and I wish i knew the secret as to how, those same emotions have flipped the craving to drink on its head. Now when I am anxious, i often think, thank god I'm not drunk, or I would feel worse. When i hang-out with friends, i think, thank god I'm not drunk and saying anything I'm going to regret. When I argue with my wife, I thank god that I'm speaking and not the liquor.

Maybe I'm lucky, but my craving has almost become a counter crave. But in full disclosure, i did have a bad moment this past Sunday night. I was packed and ready for my flight to San Diego the next morning, I had arranged for a ride, I finished all the "pre-work" that would have made me anxious, and I generally was of very clear mind. For a very brief instant I thought...You know, a glass of wine would be cool right now. I'm not covering anything up, I'm not deferring, there is no emotion i'm trying to quiet. Thankfully, it passed quickly, and then I realized, all this is the case because for once, I'm SOBER! (well for the last several months anyway).