View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
feelingalone43

Hi, nice to meet you. I am in a similar situation, but my AH's triggers are some of his friends, not family. He was going on quite a few binges for a while. Now he is trying to control his drinking on his own. He quit drinking anything but beer, and 99% of the time, it is low-alcohol beer. He says this is because he knows what those binges were doing to his health, both physically and mentally.

I still live daily with the fear that another binge is in his future. However, by coming here and learning about addiction, I have found a certain peace. I now work on ME. I was such an enabler for years. Now I refuse to purchase or server him his beer. I also told him that when he is drunk, he becomes loud, obnoxious, opinionated, and rude. That is not a type of person I choose to associate with. So, if he decides to binge, at least he knows he'll be doing so without any interaction with me.

This may not be what works for everyone, and I don't try to pretend my life is perfect, but for now I am truly happy knowing that I have control over my actions, and only my actions. Take care of yourself and let others do the same.