View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ARTEMIS

Hi Lost-

I have Meniere’s disease and often have very bad vertigo attacks. I thought maybe I could explain how it feels for me. He might be feeling some of the same things.
I am not saying he has a right to be mean to you or trying to minimize what you feel-please don’t misinterpret that.
I am not myself when it happens. It is such a helpless horrible scary feeling. When it happens to me I get very upset and usually cry because it is so bad. I wonder if his anger is the same as my crying?
And it isn’t that I am sad that I am crying-it is my body going haywire- you feel so out of control and it is scary. I get hot and the nausea is horrendous and many times you vomit for hours. You know it is going to be bad and so when it starts there is also the dread. The thinking please do not let this be a horrible one.
And I know some people have said take a cab,etc but when you feel that bad where you cant walk and the actual movement of being in the car makes it worse you need someone who understands. You are scared and you want
someone who knows.
You are tired for days after. Its feels like you have been run over by a truck. If you get them back to back the exhaustion is depressing.
Vertigo isn’t something people can “see” so many times people at work think oh they just want some time off. That is hard to deal with emotionally. Also, due to the time I have missed at work it has hurt my career. Time off is considered time off and it doesn’t matter that you can’t control it.
You also lose some independence. You can’t plan long car trips any longer because you never know when it is going to hit. Having it happen in a store is really embarrassing. People think you are drunk.

Sorry this turned into such a long winded post. What I am trying to say is he probably feels both mentally and physically bad and is frustrated….he might not even know he is acting cruddy to you.
Good luck and hang in there.