View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lost3000
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
You just wake up with a sinking feeling, right?
Yeah, this sums it up.

Anyhow, if your husbands vertigo is improving, are the appointments that disrupt your work day going to dramatically lessen or be eliminated? I hope so! And yes I realize you want to help your spouse, but could he take a taxi or get a ride from someone else? I think there is a fine line between helping and being a doormat. Sometimes people need to help themselves.
Yep, doctor appointments are temporary and soon we'll be back to our normal day to day lives. We live in a northern suburb and for him to take a taxi would be overtly expensive. There is no way on earth I'd ask him to take a cab, and no way on earth would he do the same to me. I've had my fair share of illnesses and he did the same thing for me that I'm doing for him. It's not a matter of wanting to take care of him but simply taking care of him. A marriage entails certain things to me and this is one of them. I'm in no way a doormat, he just shushed me because he was on the phone and I was talking to him.

At 4 months sober, I wouldn't worry about the "dry drunk" thing too much. That term gets thrown around a bit too frequently. I think it's awesome that you're dealing with life, with all it's BS, and staying sober You are thoughtfully dealing with issues, & staying sober, and sometimes that's all we can do. That's enough.
This helps a lot. And thanks so much. And, you are right, not every day is happy happy joy joy. So this is what real life is like, eh? LOL

It seems like maybe your husband is not appreciating all you do and is being a bit dismissive! Is that right? If so, not cool. I dealt with dismissiveness, for eg the "shush" thing for many years. Won't be doing that again.
He isn't appreciative right now, and is dismissive, however, that was in one evening, not overall, and I do believe that's because he's having a terrible time. He's thanked me many times before last night and told me how much he appreciates me.

He approached me this morning and things are a lot better. I feel a lot better and am working to get back on track.