View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chakaido

Hi Homesig--
First congrats on 7 days sober and taking a good look at your choices. I can relate to being in corporate world, and your path. Master levels degree, six figure income, successful from a career perspective on many levels. But that's not been enough.

I've been a "functional alcoholic" since 2000 ...all throughout my 30s and now into my 40s. Although I've been lucky (?) for it not to escalate and progress in terms of amount of drinks. I actually cut back from 5-6 (2 litres/ of 7% cider/night) often to now 4-5/night at 5%. So its been a reduction and made a difference.

Only my mom and dad know and my ex. Nobody else. It has been shameful to share and may one day let the world know who I am and my story. But figure it'd be career suicide to share my story given my field (not sales) but lets say its in the counselling field so not a great 'habit'/story to have!

But at the level of drinking 2 liters/night, I was gaining weight (over 200 lbs and I'm 5ft 5), had high blood pressure and became borderline diabetic. My health was a big motivator to change. So I did downgear the overall amount but didn't stop.

Now the motivation is broader than that. It is about having a better life. Having more energy and besides, who'd want to be with a 'drunk' according to some people (my ex). The daily partaking was too much, and perhaps its an age thing. I never had hangovers or black outs, but its just tiring to continue like this. If anything at 44 I need to be finding ways to gain energy!

Health and happiness is #1. Perhaps its time to reassess what happiness is for you and your current line of career isn't working for you anymore. Maybe it did at one point? Take a sabbatical, do a retreat and get some new insights and see what happens. A very exciting time for you actually!