View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Homesig

First post new to sober think, 7 days in

Hey guys, this is my first post here, I wanna say i really enjoy reading the success stories many you have had. I just recently stopped drinking 7 days ago for a number of reasons, however the main was I was just tired of pissing my life and money away on booze. In the past 9 years, I have managed to become a functional alcoholic by pretty much hiding it from the world. I would rarely get drunk in public and usually be the responsible one. However, when I would get alone I would inhale 12-16 beers a night while playing video games or watching TV. I am now 30 and close to 50 lbs overweight. I am not a social drinker at all, I am actually more social while sober. I drink like crazy when I am alone and love it . I have few questions for you guys.

No one in my family knows I am alcoholic because I am ashamed of it. Who should I tell? I dunno, I just get depressed knowing that my family may look down upon me. I am the oldest sibling in the family and always looked up to. I hate the idea of them knowing I am an alcoholic.

I am successful sales executive at a fortune 500 company. My job is extremely stressful, hence one the reasons why I drink in private so much. My industry is littered with alcoholics. Whether it's a meeting with my co-workers, clients, potential clients, or company functions I am surrounded by booze. I swear everyone is a freaking alcoholic or user of some sort. Corporate America is such a drag. Anyone in this in this line of work have any suggestions?

My last 7 days have been tough, however not as hard as some of the many on here. I really only drank beer in excess. The 2-5 days were the hardest as far my withdraws. My antexity and stress levels were through the roof and I didn't sleep more than 4 hours a night. I've been loading myself with caffeine to get myself through the day at work. At what point did some of you start noticing a difference in your physical appearance after you stopped drinking? Also, when does the anxiety subside?

Anyways, tomorrow is a huge day for me, my companies softball team starts. If anyone knows softball, there will be more drunks than sober people I appreciate any comments or support you guys could give me. I am extremely glad I found this site. I will try to update tomorrow