Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Some of the most important things I did...
  • SR

I still read and post here everyday...it's important to remember the stakes at risk here...and to never forget what it was like...

• Play the tape through to the end

it's easy to remember the 'good times' we had, or convince ourselves we had, with alcohol..

it's harder to recall the bad times, or the bad consequences we had, even after those good times...I found it better to try to focus not on the short term but the longer term

• urge surfing

One of the best things I learned was that I was not my thoughts or feelings...I could remove myself from what I was feeling and try and analyse things a little more logically

I found I didn't need to act on cravings or triggers..the reactions were finite and they did go away

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

• other support

If you need other support besides SR - look for it...get those numbers, make those calls - there's no shame in safeguarding your recovery and reaching out when you need help.

I always tried to remember I got out of my recovery what I put into it.
    Make your recovery the most important thing in your life and I don't think you can go too far wrong

• being who I want to be.
    I finally worked out - I can be who I want to be, and lead the kind of life I want to...or I can drink and drug...but I can't do both.

Once I accepted that - really accepted it - things got a lot easier for me...

D