View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bayliss

Yes, I have definitely had my fair share of attempts at quitting...and some totally half-assed ones at that. I also tried tapering...which I thought would work...but instead of being serious about it...it was just an excuse for me to keep drinking...really. Needless to say, that didn't work...and I was back to good ol' Mr. 1.5 litre.
I know that sometimes it takes something scary to happen to change your mind on things...I can relate...I had an OD scare when I was younger with codeine. I don't know how I could have been so naive and stupid. Now I don't touch medications if I seriously do not have to.

I'm on day 4 tomorrow...I'm not an AA'er...although it worked for A LOT of people on here...I tried it and it's not my thing.
To be honest, I am quite fond of AVRT. I have been reading a lot on it the past few days and to me it makes sense and has filled me with a sense of optimism and positivity (ps. thanks all that suggested it to me!).

Triggers? Hm...anything and everything...I definitely began the heavier drinking to self medicate...my job was stressful...and then when I quit it, I was bored and couldn't find work...so I drank because of that...I found any excuse I could to drink, really.
But I would always say I drink because of stress/anxiety/etc. But that was just my addiction talkin'.

Fighting temptation. Of course...it is not going to be easy. Everyone has gone through it...I have read so many posts...and it takes a little bit of time for you to get over it. I mean, we have been doing this to ourselves for a while. It's routine now...like anything else...we are going to want that drink at the end of the day, at 5pm, etc.
When we are stressed, bored, happy, sad, angry...

Just hang in there...make a plan.
I never made a plan before until now...so somehow I feel like this is different.

As I said...I am only on day 4. There are people on here far knowledgable then I am and will give you fantastic advice.
This is just what is working for me so far...and we need to have hope.
And confidence in ourselves.
Because we can do it.

Good luck - and keep 'er goin'!