Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by TheOnlyDryPaddy
The AVRT users here seem to insist that designating something a disease absolves the affected from resposibility for their own self-care but don't seem to want to make the effort to make a reasoned connection between the two.
Our posts crossed Paddy. I will not speak for AVRT users, as I can only speak for myself, but I have often heard irl and seen statements here that allude to the addict "not being able to help it" because they have a disease. Friends and family often say "they are just doing what addicts do...they're sick, they can't help it." If I looked I could find several examples all over this forum. I've deeply hurt others that I love, only to turn to them and say "it's not me, it's the disease". I believed it, felt sorry for myself, and also I thought it quite handy. It sure helped me continue to do whatever I damn well pleased at the expense of others for too long. I did not take responsibility for way too long. My children suffered because of that...and that's completely my fault. The disease theory had me fighting a lifelong battle with an illness that I could never recover from, not my "fault" just the disease I have. I don't think I have a disease or that I am deeply flawed. I was once addicted to alcohol and benzos and it nearly killed me. Now I don't use them and I never will. Easier than I was led to believe by the disease proponents.