View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
inpieces314
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post

It would be very irresponsible to bring a child into the world with him. I know, I lived in the home of an alcoholic and I would not wish that dysfunction and abuse on anyone, let alone an innocent child.
My mother told me the other day, she never wanted me to get into a relationship with an alcoholic. She is an ACOA and my grandfather just died two weeks ago, almost 4 years sober, thank God, because he was horrible when drinking, which he did for 40 years, and I am glad that he got to recognize that life wasn't all the evil that drinking made him think it was. Anyway, she said that as hard as it was for her being a child of an alcoholic, and there was all the abuse and codependent mother stuff going on, she cannot imagine how hard it would be to be the spouse of an alcoholic.

For me, I don't care, it is my choice to be around him. But I look at my 2 kids, and I know that I don't want them to grow up in the same type of household my mother did. She doesn't even talk about what happened as a child. Ever. It damaged her that much. I can't imagine doing that to my kids. Even though I am not the alcoholic, I am the codependent mother. I am my grandmother, and I am making the same mistakes.

Trust me, it's enough to make you want to stop the madness.