View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CC8

Having fun in sobriety

Hi All. I've been struggling with this lately and would love to hear how other people did it/do it/are doing it.

I just celebrated 5 years and "should not" be feeling this way but I am. After getting sober in DC I essentially just buried myself in work. I just moved to CA like 3 months ago and am still in the same mode. I'm from here, back home after being away for 8 years, and it's tough! What I'm finding is that a) I have no social life yet but b) the only way I know how to have fun is to party. Still. I hang out with my old friends who still drink and it's good to see them but they're boring to me now. I used to like being with people I felt comfortable with. I still do but ... I'm also seeing that working so hard then only knowing how to blow off steam with alcohol (now food) isn't the answer. it sort of hit me thatm, wait, I need to do sober things to have a sober life. Beyond shopping or going to the gym, or whatever. And it's not about filling the hole wtih external things.

I guess it's being healthy. That's how you start? I used to like taking hikes. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?! How did your life change? Old friends? What did you find/think? How did you feel as things changed/how has your life changed and how do you find joy now? seriously.

Thanks for listening and sharing