View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Spybee007

Unhappy Dark days, seeking escape!

Hi All,

I wanted to join this forum after doing some "googling" around at work today, most of my queries brought me to threads from this site. I had been searching for others who had drank heavily for 10+ years, as I have. I'm 30 yrs old, never had a drink in my life before I was 19 1/2, in Mexico. I had always been kind of shy around new people and decided to get drunk at a club down there, must say was one of the funnest nights of my life... since then, alcohol became a liquid courage on the weekends at parties or out bar hopping. Quickly made friends who like to drink as much as me.

In the last decade, I have been divorced, lost several long term relationships and also had 2 run ins with domestic violence, not violent crimes - but bad fighting due to being so waisted. No DUI's amazingly, no bar fights or even really one night stands. I used to go out and spend too much, after being in serious relationships, I'd just stay home - ignore my wife/girlfriend, drink and play video games online... I know, not the best life - but cheaper than $60+ bar tabs and less likely to drive.

Well after my last break-up, I have kind of gone off the deep end and instead of going on a binge, say every 3-4 days... it's been more like 10-12 beers a night with brief one day breaks.. I try to convince myself to at least wait until the weekend, easy to say when you wake up hung over... by the time I'm about to get off work I feel ok again and battle with myself/mind driving home whether I should stop and get beer, or sit at my apartment alone and be bored watching netflix? So, I always end up pulling over and saying eff it, I'll quit next week and that somehow makes me think it's ok. Well, for the last 6 months it been that and I'm really starting to worry about my health, knowing I've been drinking pretty heavily for 10 years now..

I want to quit completely. Just seeking advice of people who have had the same mental battles of drinking vs not drinking and how they win those battles, everyday? I may be a little physically addicted, but don't notice any major withdrawal symptoms other than some anxiety and irritability. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!