Thread: The Start
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sapling

Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
Thanks. I gone a month, but after that I tried moderation out which I actually did so successfully for about a month (Feb.). I was gritting my teeth though. It was then when I realized I was having cravings around early March, I knew, "Okay, I'm an alkie." Plus, when I caught myself treating drinking like it was Weight Watchers, I started to see a problem within itself. But the thing is I just read American on Purpose which is written by Craig Ferguson, a reformed alcoholic. He was actually able to be around drinkers in his book, as I am I. Now when I say drinkers, I mean mainly those who are moderating, though he did have a friend who like wine more than it liked him. For some reason it doesn't bother me if other people drink around me. I guess I see at as an allergy for me. Like, I'm a diabetic, yes I can go to the party, but I can't have the cake. Good news is, I haven't lost any friends since most of them are not what I call "drinkers". But when I was going a month I actually wanted to extend my abs for another week, but a friend wanted me to celebrate my month sobriety at a bar (alcoholic logic is funny sometimes). But now I'm making a life long commitment.
Hey Lockhart..Welcome. I've heard you are making a commitment....My question is...To what? You mention Craig Ferguson....I believe he uses the program of AA...Like I do. I don't mind being around people that drink now...I don't go look for them...But they don't bother me. I worked the same 12 steps that he did....They prepare you for being able to do that. At two weeks you say you've been to social gatherings where alcohol is served...My question is....Why? I think if you are making a life long committment.....There has to something that you are committing yourself to. I wish you the best.