View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

If his only addiction was prescription drugs then technically he is not welcome in AA as they believe that it is a program for alcoholics. If his drug of choice was alcohol and he was a poly user who abused drugs as well then he qualifies. I'm wondering if he was honest with his new sponsor?

I wish my ex had remained "on fire" for AA as he would be sober today in my opinion but the "honeymoon" often wears off as has been pointed out by the previous poster. My XA did over 300 meetings in 14 weeks and I believe he did have a psychic change and the outlook was positive.

He was in residential treatment and my life was seperate and I was trying to move forward in my own recovery. I believed then and strongly believe now that this is the wisest course of action for loved ones of A's in early recovery.

Why do want to further entwine yourself into his world when it rightfully should be centered on finding his own recovery path? This is a life and death struggle (in my opinion) and quite frankly it is more likely statistically that he will fail and you and he might be back at square one.

Instead... consider spending your time and energy on finding your own center, your life, your own path... you may very well be on your own in the future. But if he is successful and does find REAL RECOVERY, real psychic change, becomes the man you hope he truly he is you can come back together when there is real evidence that this is getting down deep in his soul and is forever.

Our ... mine... obsession and deep need to "control" and be involved in the recovery is not helpful to either party. He must learn to kill the beast, the alcoholic voice, learn to deal with temptation all my himself.

If I were to be in your shoes... I would throw him the reins... give him that freedom to live or die... to get free or hang himself... if you are not in the mix you have no responsibility or blame if he fails.

Alanon...couples counseling individual and together with a a GOOD counselor who understands addiction... read lots of books on the subject... stickies help with all of this.

Keep coming back... keep seeking the knowledge and experience of others and let your HP guide your path.