Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
wheresthefun

Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
Im from the Alanon side and hoping you can help me with this question.

My xah has been a heavy drinker for most of his adult life. The last couple of years he went from a 5th every couple of days to a 1/2 of a gallon everyday to every 2 days...Alterated between whiskey to vodka.

Last year he went to a 28 day rehab. That failed. Continued to drink for the last year and is currently in a 90 day rehab center now. Only one week left to go.

I talked to him once when he was 60 days sober. Then I talked to him last night at almost 90 days sober.

Last night, I could not believe the change. It was not a good change. It seemed like his condition/attitude got worse. He seemed more confussed than ever. Very depressed.

He said he had a job when he got out. But I asked him when he had the interview. He said that he has the application, but hasnt sent it in yet. But swears they are going to start him at $50-$100 per hour. He seemed pretty confident that he has the job.

He said the center wants him to stay there an extra 30 days to help with newcomers, so he might do that.

I thought the "fog" was suppose to be lifted around 30/60 days.

I was just shocked that he sounded so lost and confussed. I have never heard him like that. He never even sounded that lost when he was drunk.

Ive had alot of anger, for the things that he has done to me and my family and the position that he up & left us in. But I will be honest, after last nights phone call. I literally sat there and balwed my eyes out. I will never get back with him, but I would still love to see him sober and learn to enjoy life and embrace his recovery.

I know your not doctors that can view his brain, but I would like to know, if this can be normal for some alcoholics, without calling it "wet brain"

PS: Thanks for letting me jump over on this side and ask for your help!
Hope everyone has a great day!!