Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
I talked to him once when he was 60 days sober. Then I talked to him last night at almost 90 days sober.

Last night, I could not believe the change. It was not a good change. It seemed like his condition/attitude got worse. He seemed more confussed than ever. Very depressed.

I thought the "fog" was suppose to be lifted around 30/60 days.
It took me about 4½ months for my head to level, but the problem is precisely that the fog starts to lift. You're catapulted straight into reality, which, to an addicted person, is kind of like jumping onto oncoming traffic. That said, he may actually have some sort of depressive illness separate from the alcoholism.

Alcohol causes depression, so it's not easy to tell if that is the case while drinking, and standard psychiatric protocol usually requires 90 days of abstinence to arrive at a proper diagnosis. Since he will soon be at that point, it might be worth looking into, with the understanding that no psychiatric medication on Earth will work if he starts drinking again.