Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

How do people usually bounce back from this and is it a regular ongoing thing for people on the forum?
Some people don't bounce back. Some people just keep it up forever—a stretch of sobriety here, a return to drinking there. Others just give up and drink their lives away. But others learn from the past, adjust their thoughts and actions accordingly, and break free of the cycle once and for all.

That's going to be you. No reason it can't be. My advice would be to take it as proof that you are in the grip of addiction, and that the only way to end it is to end it completely, without so much as another drop.

Just sitting here on the sofa with my kids breathing the booze smell over them makes me feel sick.
I think that's a very good sign. No romantic, idealistic notions of alcohol at all—just the cold, hard reality of drinking. You can totally do this.

PS: I now go to bars with my friends quite often. It doesn't bother me because drinking is simply not an option for me under any circumstances. But that's me, and where I'm at now, and it wasn't always so clear to me. Give yourself time and a wide safety net.