View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Krys

What is reasonable?

So my bf and I are working on things from afar (I moved out) and he is getting health insurance from his new job starting 2 weeks from now. He cannot quit his job to go to an inpatient rehab. He has a large amount of child support to pay each week, and this is the first consistent job he has had in 2 years (he is in construction and it was hit very hard). My question is this...what is the amount of treatment he should be getting without going inpatient? He is high functioning, no drinking during work and can sometimes go days without drinking at all so I am not worried about scary physical symptoms at this time. I am asking more for me than for him. I have never been in this position before and I don't know what I should be accepting/not accepting. In other words is it feasible for someone to change their thinking patterns/addictive behaviors with only going to therapy once a week (which is what he is saying he will do) or should there be more? I am not planning on moving back in with him until I see significant change, not only with his drinking but with his attitude and treatment of me sober or not.