Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

I am getting weird about my house. Something out of place will bug me until I fix it. This is crazy-making for me because I live with three sloppy men (well, one man and two men-in-training). If someone doesn't hang up their coat, put away their backpack, or throw away their trash instead of leaving it on the kitchen table, I'm on it like a bird on a worm. I go around straightening pictures, organizing and reorganizing drawers, closets and my pantry, and cleaning things that are already clean. When my boys see me coming with the Dustbuster in my hand, they run for cover. For some idiotic reason, I spent three hours the other day alphabetizing our DVDs only to come uncorked when the guys raided the cabinet for a movie they wanted to watch and put everything back in the wrong place. I was seething and heads were ready to roll ... but I went and took a bath instead. lol

I've always been a bit of a neat freak but this is a little psychotic. I keep thinking it will pass and it probably will. It's a control thing that's keeping my head and the rest of my busy and productive right now ... when I was drinking I didn't give a crap WHAT the house looked like, and I didn't have the energy to clean it even if I DID give a crap, so the family got used to leaving their messes wherever and whenever. I'm sure it has come as a total shock to them that I suddenly care whether or not they replace a roll of toilet paper or leave a glob of toothpaste in the sink. And let's not even talk about the socks and underwear that don't make it into the hamper.

I can't keep this up forever though. lol I figure my time is still better spent prettying up the house than drinking ... that's one good thing that's happened as a result of being sober. Or maybe I'm just menopausal.