View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sunday69

Can AA help with depression?

I've been sober for six months. I quit because my body (extreme high blood pressure, obesity) and mind (depression, OCD, anxiety) were starting to break down. All of the doctors and therapists told me that I needed to quit and that I would be feeling better in 30-90 days.

I waited for 30, 60, then 90 days - not a drop of alcohol. Things just got worse. My depression and anxiety have spiraled out of control. My OCD is worse, and after seeing four different psychiatrists I'm still looking for a combination of meds that will work without making me totally crazy. I'm currently trying two different types of therapy and starting to exercise a little bit. I also meditate a bit (not enough). I'm on very low doses (can't handle high doses) of prozac and lithium that help keep me from suicide, but between the depression and OCD, every day is a struggle.

Before I quit, I went to AA about 5 times per week for a couple of weeks - just trying to get my courage up. Now I don't go at all. My questions (finally): Can AA help with depression? Am I a dry drunk who can be restored to sanity by the steps? Have your mental health been helped by the program? I'm not worried about drinking again. I'm worried about staying alive for my family. Thanks.