View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
GrowingDaily
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I know it's difficult not to take something like this personally, but you know that other people can't make you feel any particular way. The world doesn't determine our emotions. How we choose to react to it does.

It sounds like you're upset the guy in question doesn't understand your viewpoint. Well... that's life. While we'd like everyone to understand us, that rarely happens. And likewise - how often do we really understand the motivations of others? Some people simply don't click with one another. That's not necessarily a reflection on you. Nor is it necessarily a reflection on him. Maybe he'll just be one of the rest of the millions of people who won't be sending you a Christmas card this year. So what!? There are just as many people out there who you DO click with.

If this was a misunderstanding, or something you honestly feel was a failing on your part, then clarify yourself, or apologize - not out of guilt, but in the effort to improve yourself. If you feel you have no reason to do either, then let it go... you'll find other people who are a better fit. But in either case, don't beat yourself up over it. You shouldn't be looking to cast blame - not on him nor yourself. What is, is.

I've suffered from plenty of issues w/ my father. For all my life I'd wanted him to understand me. To understand the pain & hurt he inflicted on me. To understand how his constant abandonment tormented me. What I realized in the end was that - no matter how much I wished it - nothing was ever going to change. I can't force him to view things through my eyes. It was a tough pill to swallow, but now that I'm starting to come to terms with the reality of the situation, it's helping me to finally stop taking it personally. And to let it go.