Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
flamingredhair

I'm not laughing at your distress but at how facetiously you put it.

Originally Posted by lilactree View Post
...answers, cliches and other really unhelpful oft-repeated 'truisms', especially as repeated by AA.

I've been a member for going on a year. They are very nice people, and I'm sure they mean well. And I'm sure it's working well for many of them. But I can't lie. Some seem to be just 'going through the motions', lecturing newcomers, and trading one addiction for another (namely AA membership).

'Do service' (I have). 'Get a sponsor' (I have). 'Go to meetings (I have--90 in ninety and three every week since'.

If I hear 'stinkin' thinkin', 'plug in the jug', 'take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth', 'bring your body and the mind will follow', or...I'm sorry, but any of the other Grade-Two, dumbed-down repetitions once more, I'm not going to drink, but scream from boredom.

I swear to God (or higher power of your choice), it's like 'Stop Drinking with Barney'. Or 'Abstinence for Dummies'.

Yes, yes, I know, the AA fans' answers are ready. I am defensive. I am 'too smart for my own good', etc...

But seriously, does this dopiness work for anyone who has half a mind left? Is there any room for someone who doesn't want to be a brain-mashed pod person?

No, I don't want to 'pick up', as you put it, but I'm also not exactly inspired by the intellectual vaccuum in these rooms.