Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
sugarbear1
~sb

You stayed sober for over a year, but haven't gone through all of the steps, do you think it's time to be more proactive in your sobriety and make something else happen?

I find it difficult to believe that all of the meetings in your area are the same. I've attended all kinds of meetings in my area and find a lot of differences in each meeting, many of these don't mention one slogan at all and there are others (many) which focus on the solutions and not the problem; those meetings do exist. My home group refuses to mention slogans and we don't have a single slogan posted where we meet. We discuss the big book and stay in the solution.

Can you find a sponsor who is willing to meet with you once a week to go over the steps? The steps are the solution, not the meetings. The one on one discussions, in person, are quite beneficial. I only wrote things for steps 4, 8 & 9.

With all of these meetings, how often do you get together with some of these people for fellowship and fun outside of a meeting? I meet at least once a month to do something fun with the people (friends now) whom I've met. We have a sober blast!

Maybe in your area it's that those people are using the meetings and not the steps as the solution, so no one really realizes that without the steps, those slogans don't mean a whole lot, but it doesn't stop them from using them and the rest of what they say. Yeah, it does sound quite stagnant there.

AA works if you work it, but you need to step up the work. This is your life.

AA isn't for everyone nor is it the only way to stay stopped, this is in the big book.

Congrats on over a year of sobriety!
Prayers and love sent your way,