View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Valuable lesson you learned.........GOING TO AA MEETINGS WON'T GET/KEEP YOU SOBER anymore than it'll get/keep me sober. The HELP.......sure........but that's not a powerful enough solution for me either.

I needed something with REAL power to get recovered. Ya see, recovery in AA comes from "working" AA. Working AA means working the steps......period. Meetings are where ppl in AA go to (hopefully) talk about how they're working the steps. Sadly, maaaany meetings have turned into group therapy and nobody talks about working steps.

The steps are like a map......how to get from alcoholic to recovered alcoholic. Follow the may, you'll get recovered. Take a different route, maybe you'll get to the same place, maybe you won't. We're a critical egotistical bunch.....if any of us had found a faster easier route, we'd have changed the book somewhere along the past 75+ years. It's still the most simple and reliable way I know. Meetings......that's where we go to talk about following the map...... hopefully.

Talking about a map is FAR from following the map......obviously.

Glad you had the same experience I had......and got it early like I did......meetings are well and good but they're not the solution to what ails me.