Thread: AH hit D6
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
Do kids typically want to go be w their A abusive parent? It makes no sense to me why the girls even want to see him. They come
back fighting, wound up and not happy yet they cling to him? It's disturbing
You poor dear. Add me to the list of people who want to come and kick the living **** out of your a-hole ex husband.

The sad answer to your question is YES. As a former foster parent (and also someone who works with kids fresh into the foster system), I can tell you that kids will miss and long for the most abusive, evil parent you can imagine. It's part of the attachment mechanism all young kids have.

A great book for you to read (everyone, IMO, should read this book) is: "Becoming Attached: First Relationships & How They Shape our Capacity to Love" by Robert Karen. This will help you understand more.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's a good sign your daughter felt safe enough to reject you --- that's actually very healthy that she can do that. She can't with her dad, it's too risky, and she knows that. Hang in there sweetie.

Last edited by Seren; 04-06-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Link to commercial website removed - Rule 1