Thread: UGH, lawyers!
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
cuz there's a reasonable chance he made that up....no ETHICAL lawyer would make such a suggestion, the risk is too great and it's just downright illegal. again, if your AH was not planning on drinking at all again ever, the device would be about as impactful as the spare tire.
I agree with this. The more likely scenario is that your husband asked the lawyer questions like "what happens if I get a beater car and install the IID on that?" and the lawyer said "well then you will be driving any other car without the IID and if you get pulled over you will be in trouble."

At least that is what my boyfriend, who has a DWI charge (his trial is around the same date as your husband's), has been doing... trying to find ways around the IID -- I think it's natural and that most people who get DWIs have tried to find ways around it and asked their lawyer about it (and lawyers are there to answer the client's questions honestly -- there is nothing unethical or dishonest about that), but in all honestly he better not try to get around the law or he will likely get caught and increase his punishment big time. So even the fact that he is considering these options tells me that he (same as my boyfriend) isn't taking the punishment seriously and is scheming on how to get around it... there is nothing his lawyer can do to prevent that, it's all on him. His decision.