View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
georgemiller

Wean off or cold turkey?

Hello all. Alot of you have been helping me already, but I have a health question. Just looking for feedback from others who have drank like me consistently. No medical advice as I plan to see a Dr. if I keep failing at recovery. Just some insight as to how you stopped your drinking.

I have drank 2-6 beers and .375 to .750 of rum daily for 6 years. 24 and 48 hours of sobriety every once in awhile, but mostly daily drinking. Within 24 hours sober I feel terrible. All the standard withdrawal symptoms. I wonder if there is a way to wean off? It just feels like a trap because that means keeping rum in the house. I always say just 4 shots to catch a buzz. Well we all know how that goes.

Is there any way to wean off? Or must I just go cold turkey? I just want to hear how you all did it without rehab. Rehab is unfortunately out of the question as I have a child and child support dues and single man living alone bills and cannot afford to lose my job or take time off as I work solo for small business. I function well enough through the day without alcohol, but it is on my mind all day at work.

Has weaning off worked at all for you? Like 6 shots today, 4 shots tomorrow, 2 shots the next? Just writing this out almost answers my question. It seems silly. It seems like it won't work, but I need to ease the withdrawal. Insight?