Thread: Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chiyo

Dilemma

I haven't told hubby's family about my drinking problem because I have, on several occasions overheard them making very rude comments about my parents who were also alcoholics. I am afraid of what they will say about me and possibly that they will exclude me from future family functions and I can't do that to my children or husband who would refuse to attend if I wasn't welcome.

So Easter is coming up and his family is very big on family get togethers during holidays. The problem is that there will without a doubt be a ton of booze. I have tried getting out of going but it didn't work. Do I tell them why I don't drink and suffer the consequences? Do I just go and come up with a million excuses as to why I can't drink? I really don't feel comfortable going but hubby is pressuring me a bit because he doesn't think that I should miss out on family and fun just because I can't drink. Do I just put my foot down and tell hubby that I am not going? If I go there is a chance that i will drink and there is a chance that I won't. I really really really don't want to risk it no matter what the outcome would have been, yet it breaks my heart to not spend the day with my family. I feel like I'm starting to panic. This is all too stressful.