Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
silkspin

When my 6 year relationship ended I was 26 and in my final year at university. And we were still living together cuz of lease/living situation complications so I even would hear him through the floor, talking to the new love of his life on the phone at night. I worked out, I was out of the house and with friends as much as possible, I listened to music like Alanis Morissette to get my hate and anger out. Every guy I saw on campus I compared to mine and thought he's too tall, he's too short, etc. I could not picture myself with anyone else except him because that's all I'd known for that many years.

Time passed and it got better. Then one day I was going to the homecoming game with my gf, and we met at her bf's house. I walked in and there was a guy there, one of his roomies. Something just 'happened' when we looked at each other. That was about 13 years ago and we've been married 10 years and we have a beautiful baby girl. Yes he has issues with alcohol but he is not mean or abusive; he's been trying to be clean now for 3 years and he's more like the student weekend binge drinker that never grew up. He is MILES better than the other guy who was toxic and controlling and hot/cold etc.

It can and will happen that you will move on, but it will take time. My sis gave me some good advice back then - she said when I start thinking about him, picture a large red STOP SIGN in my head. It actually helped because it prevented me from going down that road where I forgot the bad and thought only of the good.

29 is young! Feels like going through molasses thinking you're later than everyone who has already paired up, having kids etc. Not true. People get divorced after many years and grown kids and still can find that special someone. The biggest thing is to stop thinking about it; when we do we allow things to happen more naturally.