View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
northend79

I am terribly sorry you have had to deal with all of this lost.

However, the doctor should not have disclosed that information. They are not allowed to.
As far as your license goes, for a medical suspension, there is a whole form that needs to be completed by a doctor usually, that is then adjucated by a panel that includes case managers, and health professionals..( it's considered a human right in canada...holy moly, I have witnessed a couple, one with parkinsons in her 80's, have a spell, go into the ditch, and then have her husband with advanced dementia drive them back with her giving instructions...and she still has her license!).....I have never heard tell of it being done through email, as a doctor would have to sign off at the very least. Also, they cannot dictate that you take medication. Although they have medical backgrounds, the case managers use the information your doctor provides...so, if your doctor says you don't need medication, then they should take that into account. You should be able to appeal that, no problem, as the proper steps were not taken.

I cannot stress enough that your doctor was not allowed to disclose that information. I have been on numerous sick leaves in the past several years that have varied in length and reason, but they are usually due to mental health, and a couple of times due to my drinking...and not once, has anything ever been stated than " off work for medical reasons".....in fact, I am just coming off medical EI for those reasons combined, and although a form had to filled out, again, the doctor stated " medical reasons". It is confidential, and that doctor could get into some serious doo doo for doing that.

I am really sorry you have had to deal with all of this, but I don't want anyone in canada reading this and being scared off of seeking medical help for their problems....as this sounds like extraordinary circumstances, and not the norm. I do hope you follow up with all of it.