Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ryl417

Second what Impurrfect said, it's hard to try and help when you've never been addicted before, I don't have much advice to give you except to keep your distance; as much as you care about your friend, when you're addicted you don't think clearly at all. Addicts are unpredictable, I'm still facing investigations for aggravated battery to a stranger who made some snide comment on the street. Just be careful I suppose. You could also refer you friend to some medical help if that helps.

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I'm a recovering crack addict, but I had to hit a really low bottom to get to that point. My bf, at that time, had been smoking crack for decades. I let him go when I chose recovery. He died a couple years ago.

I had abused other things, but crack is the one thing that brought me to my knees. I know you care about this friend, but I'd recommend keeping your distance. Most crack addicts think nothing of stealing whatever they need to support their habit..family, friends..doesn't matter. I led a pretty high-risk lifestyle, and am grateful my true friends stayed away from me, TBH.

You will never understand the pull of addiction unless you are an addict. It's not a moral failing, it's just the way it is. Heck, I DO understand it, but still get angry when someone I love is in the depths of active addiction.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy