View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

"Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."
There was an Old Timer (my sponsor's hubby, Hugh D) in the San Fernando Valley out in Los Angeles that explained it this way:

"Yep that is the Smart Azz or the Wet Brain. So if you are sitting on the curb and wondering which one you are, ......................... Wet Brains can't think."

Yes he said this at almost all of his 'speaking engagement' as I have tapes of many of his 'talks.'

He would get a laugh and then would explain further on what was meant. In essence, even back in 1939 when the book was written, they already knew that with some ..........alcohol had so damaged the person both physically and mentally that they were no longer able to grasp the idea yet apply it to themselves.

Yes at the VA Hospital in Northridge Ca. I have seen alcoholic in end stage Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome (Wet Brain) and no they cannot think.

And, of course, part of it apply's to those that are going to AA meetings for reasons other than wanting sobriety, ie Court Ordered, to get their spouse, parents, SO off their backs, to appease employer, but not yet ready to do it for themselves.

I do believe that things that you find that bother you today, as the days go buy and you continue to grow and change in your recovery, you will find they no longer bother you.

I still miss my first sponsor who passed in '99 and that beautiful man who passed in '92, very much!!!! I was blessed to have Bev in my life for 18 1/2 years and Hugh in my life for a bit over 12 years.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

So I am sorry that this phrase seems to bother you.