View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by JustBreath View Post
Impurrfect: I look forward to the "next" before the craving hits. That is a wonderful thing to hold onto in my efforts Thank you

And Onlythetruth: I haven't started any treatments or programs yet but Wow! That is a very refreshing post. I do sometimes have the "whats the point" thought but I wait it out and it does pass. And you are the first person that has told me that they will stop completely over time. I love that statement! Thank you It means to me that there is an eventual end to the madness.

I am still very early in recovery. Day 20 today and my cravings have obviously dwindled over this time because I truly can't remember the last time I even had a week of sobriety. So its not like I have all this experience in the matter but I do know what has worked so far for me.

I am nervous though about starting a program because I am not sure which one to try.
It seems that people feel very strongly about how they achieved their own sobriety which is completely understandable, I would also swear by whatever keeps me sober. But hopefully I will have an open enough mind to remember everyone is different.
I have also been told I will fail on my own which I try to pay no mind to because my #1 goal is to never have another sip and I don't believe anyone can predict how I will end up.
I don't want to be the person that people say "Everyone slips" to and comforts.
I don't want to believe that everyone slips... It seems like an out to me. Like "Well if everyone slips then it's ok for me to" Not that I would act on these thoughts but I never want it to be a possibility for me.

I am sorry if I am offending anyone It truly is not my intent.
I am just trying to figure out what I have to do for myself to stay sober for the long haul.

Thank you all for listening!
Great share, JB.

And fwiw, you're right of course, everyone dosen't return back to drinking. I never did after my detox, rehab, AA, Gestalt therapy, etc.

No slips, No relapses, Nothing, and I had never asked for help from others for my alcoholism before my first and last detox. So I got it right first time. I always ask for help now for whatever, and I always offer help in kind too of course. So, yes, slips and relapses are not a requirement for recovery.

Have a great day!