View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Importantly, they DO STOP COMPLETELY after awhile. I can't remember having anything even approaching an urge for at least 10-12 years.
Yes, they do eventually stop completely. Not everyone agrees, and that's okay. Experience is such a subjective thing. I don't remember having an actual alcoholic obsessional urge for well over 28 years now out of the 30 yrs sans alcohol. And even then, the vast majority of any alcoholic urges was all within my first 12 months or less, and the strongest of those in my first 90 days.

Even when I had strong suicidal ideations at 10 years sober, I did not have related alcoholic obsessions along with the ideations. I took some appropriate gestalt therapy counselling and none of the counselling targeted my alcoholism because my alcoholism was still as always arrested and in a coma

Originally Posted by Winslynn
It is an obsession,not a craving.Your mind will not leave it alone,it is stronger than you are and will sooner or later kill you.These are the cold hard facts of being an alcoholic.
Your body can't take it and your mind will not leave it alone.
Winslynn, IMO, your words speak with rhetorical generalizations showing a deeply awkward misunderstanding of alcoholism illness theory. You would do yourself a favor by not applying your projections and conjections on specific individuals. Although its true an unknown number of alcoholics are killed by obsessional alcoholic drinking, it is untrue that every alcoholic is killed in such a manner.

Simply, all alcoholics by definition are of course only at risk of dying from alcoholism. Risk is what it is, and all the doomsday rhetoric in the world won't help a single alcoholic stop drinking. If words alone could do the job, what a wonderful thing that would be, eh.