View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Squizz

Originally Posted by HelenRocker View Post
thanks the only thing is, most of these people have been our friends for 25 years, have been to every wedding, christening, birthday etc. Pretty much family.
Well if they're true friends, they shouldn't have a problem with it then, should they? And if they continually push booze or drugs on you, tell them this: "Look: If you keep this up, we can no longer be friends."

Is it a big sacrifice? Sure. But apparently your husband (I'm assuming?) had a heart attack due to drinking (or whatever) so I'd say that's pretty severe. (To say the least!) Therefore, your precautions toward combatting alcoholism must be even MORE SEVERE. This is what I've noticed about alcohlics and addicts over the years:

We think that we aren't as bad as we really are. We always say stuff like: "Oh I'm not that bad."

But once you get a little sobriety under your belt, you start to realize that you were much worse than initially thought. Therefore, your plan of action simply CANNOT be half-hearted! You've gotta' go at this thing FULL TILT or otherwise you will drink or do drugs again.

And I say this not to lecture, but out of concern. And out of experience. I wish you all the best in your recovery!