Thread: Article in WSJ
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
vinyl

Originally Posted by GonzoTaxi View Post
I've thought about it a little more and I think the thing that bothers me about this article is not necessarily the steps that he chose or the fact that he isn't doing AA, but that he seems to believe that he has arrived at a destination instead of being on a journey that isn't over yet. Indeed, that will never end.

2 1/2 years is not such a long time. It's when you think you've beat it that you set the groundwork for failure.

When I first hit one month, my friend said he wanted to get me a gift to congratulate me. I told him I don't get anything for a measly month. Maybe after a year, that's an accomplishment. After ten years, maybe I'll stop thinking about alcohol so much. But it won't be after I'm dead and gone that one could truly judge if I've effectively controlled my relationship with alcohol.

So that was a bit off topic, but I will say at least the 1000 dollar pen sounds pretty nice!
I just wanted to thank you for this post. Though it may seem to you like you went off topic, this particular response has meant more to me than most posts around here and I'll be contemplating it the rest of the day. I think this is one of my main problems. I reach the, "I'm fine now" stage and begin to drink again. No more. I'm slowly realizing, as you mention, it's only when I reach the grave will my efforts be realized, and I plan to avoid that grave for a very long time now.

As for the article, I'm not as offended by it as some of you seem to be. He was pretty clear throughout that it was only his way of doing things and that everyone should choose their own path. That's not arrogance, that's humility, IMHO. But I can see how those who are ardent AA followers might become defensive, I guess it's only natural when you love a program so much. I get it. But I also think it's important to recognize the fact he's brought an article about recovery to the national stage, and if it helps even one person recognize their addiction, then it's an admirable effort.

Take care and be well.