View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Originally Posted by SeekingGrowth View Post

The organization has quite a program. It is run with military-like rigidity, which I think is exactly what my AS needs and which I didn't have the strength to provide. Must be early out of bed, curfew every night (10 p.m. for the first 2 weeks), no overnights out of the house without permission, daily chores for all residents, at least 6 NA meetings a week (9 if unemployed), plus a program meeting every Monday. Must get a job within two weeks, and there are specific guidelines for the job hunt (X-number of apps per day filed, detailed records of where he looks). House supervisors and program directors visit the house several times a day, and the place was spotless when we got there.

Sounds like boot camp for adulthood. Just what the doctor -ordered.

So at the moment, my house is empty of craziness and is peaceful, and I feel like my AS is in a good place and has a real chance for recovery. I'm trying to not get too hopeful, but I'm already there. I know I will be WRECKED if he has a big-time relapse and gives up on recovery this time
His reaction to this opportunity does not validate or invalidate you.
Can you use this time to learn how you can prepare to disengage from the outcome, whatever it will be. It's not rational or healthy to allow yourself to become estatic or WRECKED about a situation so beyond your control.

The only thing we have control over is our own reaction.