View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ilovemysonjj

Hi Seeking, My son was in a very strict rehab for 4 months and then moved into an SLE. The first SLE he moved in was on 2-24-12. My Mom passed away the next day and he relapsed about 10 days later. He left his SLE, was put in the hospital for 5150 (suicidal thoughts), checked out on 3-13 and went on a 9 day "sabbatical" from life(dropped out of all contact with us) and then finally called me on Saturday March 24. One of his friends from rehab had been in contact with me and he was in a more structured sober living that has 21 people in it and an onsite cafe , 13 meetings a day and lots of recovering support. My son accepted that opportunity to join that sober living that day. I picked him up and dropped him off there. I was at first nervous because it is a converted hotel, but after I met a few people, I could see how it works. Like a commune, everyone has chores and can offer to volunteer to help get the work done. They have required meetings, random drug testing and they work together to help each other. I think that the more structured sober living programs, like the one your son is in, is EXACTLY the right kind. My sons first one was a house with 9 residents, but no real formal requirements. I know for my son, going from jail then to the strict structure of his rehab and then the sudden "freedom" and then grief losing his grandmother (who was his number one support), was too much for him. Your sons program sounds excellent as a first step from rehab to acclimating back to life. I will pray for you and your sons success and commitment to this new program.
Hugs,
Teresa