Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

I'm both a recovering addict, and I'm a codependent...spent decades with A's, turned to drugs to deal with it, and am STILL dealing with family members, who I love dearly, but are active in their addiction.

I don't tell EVERYONE that I'm an RA, but I'm back in school and have let a few classmates and instructors know (the question of "why aren't you a nurse anymore" kept coming up, and I felt confident with those few to tell the truth...I've gotten nothing but support).

I live in a house with an active A (stepmom), an enabler/codie dad, and a niece who has been severely affected by addiction...she's 18 and 2 months pregnant.

I work my addiction and codie recoveries every day. When I slip into the family drama, I come here and get re-grounded.

I've been told I don't need to reveal my past to everyone, and I don't...however, when I feel safe enough with the person, I do. I've met many other RA's and F&F by doing so, and it's always been a positive experience.

I consider my addiction as a chapter in my life that is closed, as long as I continue to work my recovery. However, I'm willing to share MY experience with selected people. I'm not that person any more..got 5 years in recovery, and am still digging out of the whole that I dug myself into. I'm still dealing with consequences, but I have faith that at some time, I will get past them.

I would have never thought that admitting my past to my car insurance agent (try explaining a totaled car, two cars "stolen" (read rented out) in 6 months would lead to her saying "I need to talk to you...my son is using meth". I will forever reach out when I'm comfortable, but I also have to remember than I'm not the person I was and I don't have to tell everyone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy