View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Wifeinark, welcome to SR!

I am a long-term recovering addict/alcoholic, with meth being my drug of choice, and I shot it up. I am proof that recovery is possible, but not without a lot of hard work and making a commitment to my recovery being the top priority.

Meth is a nasty drug, incredibly hard to get off of, and I have met very few long-term recovering addicts.

I can tell you that I did not hit a bottom and cry out for help until I was face down in the dirt with no one to pick me up.

I was also married to an active meth addict/alcoholic during my own addictions, and that man never did get recovery. He went through rehab just before me, and went right back to swilling whiskey and slamming dope the day he got out of rehab.

He's dead now, complications due to AIDS (a direct result of his addiction). He was 47 when he died.

I had to walk away from that marriage for my own sanity and safety when I got out of rehab. Nothing was going to convince that man he needed help. He was toxic to me and affected my then 8-year-old daughter (not his).

A meth addict will chew you up and spit you out, leave you bankrupt physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

I also have a 34-year-old addicted daughter. I have learned to detach.

I won't love her to death like an another mother in the town where I live did with her own daughter. She got to bury her.

Please check into some Alanon or Naranon meetings. Get the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. I reference it often. I also found that therapy/counseling has helped me tremendously over the years.

I hope you continue to post, and know that you are among friends.