View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
....usually a lot of time.
Loved the post...... good stuff for sure.

I don't think, nor have I seen, that it HAS to take a lot of time. For sure, some of us get that in our head and we make it take a lot of time......but I've been amazed at how QUICKLY ppl can recover from very very VERY low nasty bottoms.

I've not experienced that time is in my favor either....I've got a history of sitting back, waiting for the miracle to just happen to me or maybe just being too lazy to WORK for what I need. In those instances, time is more like an enemy.

My life gets depressing.....I get sad, or mad, or whatever - "upset" for sure. AKA, I start to suffer again from untreated alcoholism even though I'm not drinking........ and on those days..... time is not the answer, not even close. In times like that, I need action. I need to re-plug into the recovery path and get to work. I probably reeeeally need to get out of my head and go help someone else out. I know this, today..in advance....but yanno, we can be forgetful and we can fall into the trap of laziness even when we know better than to let that happen.

For me, I've found the quickest solution to enjoying life hasn't come so much from the passage of time but from being actively engaged in living a spiritual life. In other words, being an active participant in my program of recovery keeps me happy, joyous and free.