View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
December2011

Kelly,
If it were your sister (if you have one), friend, or someday even your daughter, would you advise her to date a recovering cocaine addict only sober 2 months? If so, would you advise her to stay with him after leaving a bar with another girl, doing drugs all night, and then overdosing, and all this after she was only dating him 8 months? Is this high standards, and self respect?

I honestly feel like this behavior e.g., allowing yourself to be treated like this, and knowing it is highly possible it will happen again- cries out for help. I am fairly sure your friends and family probably say the same thing, but I guess everyone is wrong, and I hope for your sake they are.

I know you said that you have enough love to give to others that have not had it so good, why not volunteer for a charity that doesn’t involve your love life?
Not to be Captain Bring Down, just being real.

Lastly a respectful request:
Please stop the negativity regarding the 12 steps; this is a 12 step approach forum that reads:
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
12 Step program- for all who love someone who is addicted to drugs, whether they have admitted a problem or not. Discuss coping tools, and learn basic recovery techniques for you, not the addict, through the 12 Steps.

I personally believe there are many ways to recovery, and what works for one may not work for another. No one in here is saying you must follow the 12 steps, and not everyone here does. No one has ever forced the 12 steps on me in this room, ever.

take care

This is definitely my last post on this thread, whew.