Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Welcome, Chance, and congrats on your 36 days! That's great.

I'm a similar boat... my boyfriend and I were both heavy drinkers/ alcohol abusers. Over four months ago, I stopped drinking, and my boyfriend hasn't. I struggle with a lot of the same feelings you do, thinking that if I were important enough to him or if he cared, he would stop too. But I've learned that we cannot make that decision for them, just like no one could have made that decision for us, except us. It's a personal journey for everyone, and they may or may not decide to quit drinking on their own.

I'm really trying to just focus on myself and my own recovery. Part of that involves deciding whether I want to continue on in a relationship with someone who drinks to the extent that my boyfriend does (or at all)... but I'm not prepared to make that decision right now. So another part of it is setting my own boundaries for myself... right now my boyfriend has agreed to not drink when he's around me (although he does drink before he sees me, which also makes me uncomfortable, and I also wouldn't prefer that he go out drinking without me... so really, I'm learning there is no great way to deal with it and I have to just accept that he drinks even though I don't like it, or leave the relationship). At least your girlfriend doesn't drink around you... that's very respectful of her.

Please don't let your recovery depend on your girlfriend's drinking or not... try to focus on yourself, even though I do know from personal experience that it's very hard. Best wishes and stay strong.