View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
KelleyF

Originally Posted by dbh View Post
As I have posted previously, I am an adult child of an alcoholic. My father was an alcoholic for almost his entire life and I'm familiar with the subtle and not so subtle damage that comes from having an active addict in your life.

When I was younger, I remember often minimizing the affects my father's alcoholism had on me. I would tell myself how "lucky" I was that my father's drinking wasn't that bad. I would tell myself how "lucky" I was to escape being truly affected by our dysfunctional home. My positive spin on things protected me from having to deal with all the negative emotions that were building inside of me.

Life with an addict is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It makes you crazy and you start to think that unacceptable behavior is okay or justifiable.

I just have to say that it's not okay to find someone you care about od'ing and it's not okay to have your boyfriend steal from your mother.

I'm sorry that both of you are experiencing this and I hope that you find a way to put your own health and sanity first.

These are things I wish someone said to me when I was in my twenties.

Thanks for letting me share.

Hugs,

db
For your part in responding to me... thank you DB... very nice of you to share that from your past.

I didnt mean to offend anyone when I said that the relationship with my BF hadnt damaged me ' as much' as some here; but it is true. I dont have weeks or months or years of "things that are not ok" to deal with ... for me it was just one night.

Obviously I dont want him to relapse again.
I cant predict the future (besides.. we make plans - God laughs....)
But I do accept the risk